Welcome to the jungle!
Click on the boxes on the right to view my blog, or do something good for mankind :)
meet the predator
call me jenie
born on 02/20/83 after my Dad & Mom drank beer and ate balut 9 months before
lives in Singapore, but always a Pinoy at heart
works as an advertising copywriter, but hates proofreading her blog entries
loves true friends, fake DVD's, alternative music, alcohol, sarcasm, boxing, hatha yoga, and House (the TV series,not the music genre)
loathes indifference, power trippers, narcissists, giant egos and bad breath
tries to live by the quote "Postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by giving, by losing." by Anais Nin
weekend bliss :)
It was my only Lola’s 70th birthday so we went to visit her at Oriental Mindoro during the weekend. I was more than happy to go despite the hassle of travel, because Tatoff tagged along. It’s hi first time to go to her house, and ever since, she couldn’t wait to meet him.
(I’ll skip the details of the trip, and go to the more exciting parts.)
We arrived in afternoon, and I introduced him to my relatives. Though he greeted the wrong lola the first time (haha), he made up for it and I got my Lola’s attention so she can give her hand para magmano si Tatoff. Hwehwe.
The awkward part was through and we’ve only been resting for around 10 minutes when my cousin shouted, "Barik na!" (That’s the term they use for ‘toma time’) I didn’t want to drink so soon because I just had LBM, but Tatoff wanted to join the alcoholic gang, so I obliged. I didn’t care if I was gonna crap like hell later on. I said to myself that something like that doesn’t happen often, so why miss it right? I can always use the restroom anyway.
And then the barikan began…
After the 4th bottle of Emperador Brandy, nasty hirits came and the interrogation’s on. Questions on marriage and my ultimate concern over my career sprung. Being the first man I introduced to my family, Tatoff’s presence was already too overwhelming for them. I think all the while they thought I was a lesbian (in the car, I even screamed, "Lalaki yan!" when my Tito thought I brought my ‘girlfriend') or that I was just so driven I didn’t care about anything but success (They always thought it was berserk and unbelievable to be single ‘til after college).
Good thing I wasn’t in my wag-nga-kayong-makialam-sa-buhya-ko mood, so I responded and smiled to their comments with glee. Tatoff kept laughing and enjoyed my relatives’ antics and kajologan. It was my first time to get tipsy with Emperador on the rocks, but it was worth it. Hearing his answers to my relatives’ questions fattened my tipsy heart. Haha!
I can’t remember everything that was said (as usual) but I remember how I felt when I heard them. At first I think I got scared for what I may hear because he was getting drunk and he might blurt out something hurtful, but I was wrong. Instead, his answers made me fall for him even more. I was really touched and I'll be perpetually grateful for having him.
I even remember my Tito asking me, "Maipagpapalit mo ba yung nararamdaman mo habang naka-holding hands kayong ganyan sa career?"
"Sa bagay." I couldn’t say anything more. I couldn’t explain myself even if my brain wanted to interfere. (O diba ang mushy ng mga lasheng)
After the 8th empty bottle of Empoy, Tatoff had to puke and so I accompanied him. We went out to the street and my alcoholic relatives continued to drink. As we looked for a spot, I thought it was odd to hear him say "This is the best suka ever" with matching American accent (hahaha!). I forgot what else he said but I remember puking because I witnessed him puke and I wanted to share his pain. Domino effect haha. After vomiting, I kissed him in the cheek to make him feel better (or worse?hehe). I just realized, nasukahan pala namin ung mga pananim na gulay ng kapitbahay. Oops.
We went in and I passed out beside my Mom, and he stayed with my cousins. The next morning, they were teasing him for standing in bed and going out of the house to check if I’m okay, then entering the wrong room afterwards. Meanwhile, I woke up with a headache and 9 mosquito bites in each arm. I slept beside my Mom who had none. How unfair is that? Ugh. Anyway, we drowned our hang overs in the beach and got tan, then started packing.
So there it is, the weekend’s over and reality’s back. I must say that I was very happy for their warm welcome despite the fact that all of them couldn’t get his name correctly. Despite my Tito telling him to "Practice (drinking) more, para di makaabala", I thought it was a great 2-day province visit. My Lola was so glad to finally see him and my other relatives still can’t believe that I brought someone along after all these years. My mom’s also very happy when he found out about my Tito’s interrogation and I was really moved with what she told me.
Tatoff doesn’t know this but from all his answers that drunken night, my Tito can only say one thing… but I’m not writing it here anymore. I just want to say that it’s definitely one of the best weekends in my entire life. Thanks, Tato. You’re the best. :)
11:21 AM
Monday, July 18, 2005