Welcome to the jungle!
Click on the boxes on the right to view my blog, or do something good for mankind :)
meet the predator
call me jenie
born on 02/20/83 after my Dad & Mom drank beer and ate balut 9 months before
lives in Singapore, but always a Pinoy at heart
works as an advertising copywriter, but hates proofreading her blog entries
loves true friends, fake DVD's, alternative music, alcohol, sarcasm, boxing, hatha yoga, and House (the TV series,not the music genre)
loathes indifference, power trippers, narcissists, giant egos and bad breath
tries to live by the quote "Postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by giving, by losing." by Anais Nin
on holiday perverts and starting 2008 with a punch
I’ll try to be as coherent in writing this. It’s been bugging me almost all day yesterday, and it’s not a very good way to start the year.
In a span of five days, I’ve been a victim of two Singaporean perverts. And I am livid, more so disappointed at myself for not doing anything the first time it happened.
Three days after Christmas, Tatoff and I took the MRT to meet up with my Mom and nephew for dinner. The station was packed and once the doors opened, everyone started to push and shove and we got separated. I was in the middle of the coach holding on to the rail with one hand, as I clutched my bag to cover my chest with the other. The train was too cramped and I looked at the man in front of me in dismay. Then suddenly, I felt some ‘movement’ below my waist, particularly in the crotch area. I immediately looked down, and I was taken aback when I saw a man’s hand pulling away! He just tried to unzip my jeans!!! I pulled my zipper upwards, still dumbfounded, furious and unfortunately, terrified. I stared at the decent-looking Chinese guy in front of me as he turned away his head as far as he could to avoid my glaring eyes. I wanted to hit him in his head, but the shock and fear paralyzed me. I didn’t want to make a scene when I wasn’t 100% certain that he was the culprit. But deep inside me, I knew he did it and I was embarrassed for him for doing such a barbaric act. I mean seriously?! Unzipping some stranger's jeans inside the MRT?! Come on! *&%%#^%$^
We got down on the next station where almost half of the people alighted. I immediately told Tatoff about what happened and although furious, he couldn’t do anything because the pervert was gone and we'd probably never see him again. Hopefully. Still, I was so damn pissed at myself for just standing there only a few inches from him, and didn’t even do ANYTHING to at least humiliate the fluke.
The second incident had a different twist.
Days after that stupid MRT episode, I caught myself in the middle of a multitude of people during the New Year’s Eve Countdown in Esplanade. I wore a comfortable V-neck shirt with a somewhat plunging neckline, (my Singaporean friend said it’s not even considered ‘plunging’ in SG standards) so it wasn’t new to me if people would look at my chest. On my way back to the station, I crossed paths with a Malay guy in his 20’s. I saw him look at my chest, then suddenly, he stuck out his elbow and rubbed it against my right boob! Whatdafuck!!! Still furious from the recent pervert incident, I reacted in a heartbeat, shouted “What the fuck?!!!” then punched him hard on his left arm.
I was fuming as he said “Sorry” a couple of times but I kept staring at him as he walked away. Tatoff, who was trailing behind me saw me punch the guy and he chased him to ask what happened. The pervert apologized like a fool again and explained that he didn’t mean it, before disappearing in the crowd. But really, how indiscreet can a pervert get?! He probably thought I wasn't looking when he stuck his elbow like that. I swear I should've hit him in the nose til he bled profusely.
Tatoff was extremely upset that I didn’t tell him about what happened right away. I, on the other hand, though still enraged, felt a sense of fulfillment for taking matters into my own hands.
When I'm bored, I sometimes envision hurting those perverts or any crook for that matter. I know most women would feel uncomfortable just being in close contact with those disgusting bastards. I did too, but not til the first day of 2008. Haha. I didn’t want to be a damsel in distress anymore. No one should be a victim of abuse. Even though most women here are calling for it with their only-the-nipples-aren’t-seen tops, butt-cheek-showing skimpy shorts and blouse-as-if-they-forgot-to-wear-pants outfits which don’t leave anything to the imagination at all.
When these incidents occur, I believe women should stop letting fear paralyze them because this is how they empower these perverts even more. It is a sign of disrespect; an act of terror, and maybe it is in the victim’s silence that these pigs find satisfaction. It is rather embarrassing to admit that you’ve been molested. But refusing to speak up will only torment you and give those men the license to go on with their perversion and twisted fetishes.
The only funny thing about this incident was the fact that I was meters away from a police station banner that said “Let your hair down, but not your guard. Don’t be a victim of molest.” Maybe I should start fighting for this cause by trying to come up with a better headline.
2:32 PM
Wednesday, January 02, 2008